9/26/11

I love knits!


I found a yard of this stripey colorful knit at a thrift store a few months back and knew it would make a great fall dress for my daughter. I haven't sewn sucessfully with knits in years (if ever), but the remnant was only a dollar so I decided to take a risk. I guess I never really learned how to sew with knits, or if I did then I forgot. But I studied up and whipped this baby out in less than a day. Honestly, 3 hours, maybe four at most. Cowl neck and everything!


Knits are really easy to work with and a super forgiving, which suits my slightly(understatement) imperfect style just fine. I'm hooked! Here's the secret - it's all about the zig-zag. Knits stretch, right, so you have to take that into account when aligning your pattern, and you also can't use an ordinary straight stitch. My sewing machine has a knit stitch - most should - but if in doubt, you can just sew with the zig-zag stitch, which allows the seam to stretch along with the fabric. I used zig-zag to hem this dress and the knit stitch for the other seams.


Last thing this dress needs is a belt. I'm torn between a double wrap belt in the same fabric, or a braided belt in a complimentary color, either blue, purple or orange... Please help me decide by commenting below :)

3 comments:

  1. Braided, purple or orange!!! V. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the votes! I've got some purple fabric ready to be braided into a belt. Stay tuned for the final product!

    ReplyDelete