8/6/11

Sewing Tip -- Maximizing your Fabric

I sew quickly, because I have limited time and too many ideas; I don't always iron, pin, or prewash fabric. This can come back to haunt me though and often when I take a short cut I regret it. I'll happily share what I learn so you won't make the same mistakes!

When laying out your pattern remember to keep your pieces together so you can have as many large remnants as possible. Good fabric ain't cheap. This is sewing 101 though, you probably already know that - the real tip is to take a good look at your fabric before laying out your pieces. I recently cut and began sewing before realizing that the front panel of a cute dress for my toddler contained a thread imperfection. If I had scanned the fabric first I could have laid my pattern so the back or side contained that small mark. Or if possible, avoided it all together. And then it happened to me again just a week later! Lesson (eventually) learned -- better late then never.

No comments:

Post a Comment